The holidays came up fast this year, so we developed these DIY tea bags as a fun and unique gift that also shares the healing benefits of all these amazing herbs we've been learning about.
In 2017, we created a Healing Herbs article and e-course that focuses on introducing 8 herbs. These herbs were chosen because they are incredibly versatile, are easily accessible (and can be grown yourself if you really want!), and contain some or all of our four primary terpenes. All of them can be consumed fresh or dried, can be infused or extracted, can be smoked or vaporized, and are available as essential oils.
Materials for Making Your Own Tea Bag
Materials for Bags
Materials for Tags
download of our printable tea tags
cardstock paper (we used a beige color)
black and white printer
xacto knife, cutting mat + ruler (or scissors)
About the Tags
There are two designs that reflect a couple of our personal favorite herbal blends as well as a blank tag so that you can fill in the ingredients of your own personal creation and note any therapeutic benefits it may have.
About Herbal Blends
Click here to check out our post on how to make your own herbal blend. The best part of these little bags is that they can be used for tea, thrown into a bath, or even opened up and smoked or vaporized.
How to Create the Bag
There are tons of coffee filters out there, but these are the ones we already had in our home. If you have a different style, review these steps to get a baseline then get creative with your own filter! The only real concern here is ensuring that your herbs won't escape the filter. Here are step-by-step instructions:
1. Center coffee filter on a flat, clean surface with the bottom edge parallel to yourself
2. Fold both sides in so that they are perpendicular to the bottom edge
3. Fold the top half down so that it is parallel to the bottom edge
4. It's a good idea to firmly crease this fold with your fingernail, a spoon, or burnisher
5. Open the top flap back up and fold both corners in at a 45° angle
Your filter should look like this:
6. Fold top flap back down and firmly crease
7. Open filter back up and add herbs of choice
If the idea of making your own herbal blend stresses you out, click here to check out our review of a few different herbal blends.
Insider tip: Consider purchasing 1 large tin of herbs then make your own tea/bath bags to gift them to friends and family!
8. Carefully refold filter around herbs. Make sure to keep the herbs in the bottom portion of the filter so that they don't escape.
Your filter should now look like this:
Attaching the Tag
We've designed tea tags that you can download and print here. There are two designs that reflect a couple of our personal favorite blends and a blank tag so that you can fill in the ingredients of your own personal creation.
1. Fold string in half
2. Thread folded end through the hole in the tag
3. Thread the loose ends of the string through the loop
4. Pull string taut
5. Place string onto bag and staple string, leaving a little excess hanging out the other side
6. Tie a knot around the staple
7. If you made your own blend, fill in the blank spaces on the tag with what's inside and what the blend can be used for. Click here to review our Healing Herbs article for therapeutic properties of 8 powerful herbs.