Hemp Oil Body Butter
Hemp oil is created by pressing the seeds of cannabis plants and can be used as a nutritional supplement in foods or on the skin to reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and more.
When it comes to skin, hemp oil is a great source of:
- Vitamin E: a powerful antioxidant with anti-aging properties that has shown effective for treating cancer, arthritis and cataracts
- Vitamin A: helps repair skin damage from sun exposure and aging
- Omega 3 & Omega 6 Fatty Acids: keeps the skin hydrated and helps with skin growth
Because of these skin-strengthening properties, hemp oil allows the body to better resist infection and has been shown to be an effective treatment for eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and acne.
About the Recipe
Homemade skin-care products are a wonderful way to create a product tailored to your specific needs. We're big fans of body butters, so we decided to adapt this Rosemary Citrus Body Balm recipe by Home Song blog to include our favorite plant, cannabis.
- 1/2 c. coconut oil (moisturizing, antifungal, antiviral) or if using a LEVO - 1/2 c. herbal infused coconut oil (we used lavender & rosemary!)
- 1/2 c shea butter (moisturizing)
- 1/4 c. hemp oil (strengthening, see above)
- 1/4 c. beeswax pellets (calming and soothing)
- approximately 2 glass jars, depending on size
- essential oils (approximately 30 drops total)
With a LEVO:
- To infuse your coconut oil: Add 1/2 c coconut oil to LEVO basin & fill pod with lavender & rosemary. Infuse at 200°F for 30 min. Remove pod; note that it will be hot!
- To make your body butter: Add shea butter, beeswax pellets, and hemp oil then set at 150°F for 15 min.
- Add essential oils then immediately dispense to avoid beeswax hardening in basin
Without a LEVO:
- Melt coconut oil, shea butter, hemp oil, and beeswax pellets in a double boiler then pour the liquid into glass jars.
- Add essential oils and stir until desired aroma is achieved. We started with 5 drops of each essential oil, then increased from there.
Opportunities for Cannabinoid Infusion
If you'd like to enhance your body butter with cannabinoids, you can add an available tincture to your recipe or infuse your coconut oil with cannabis flower that is legally available in your area.
We like to add 2 droppers of of Rosebud's full-spectrum CBD tincture to our body butter to enhance it with the healing properties of CBD.
Rosebud CBD oil is made from CBD rich hemp flowers grown on US soil under the Oregon sun. Rosebud CBD rich oil is comprised of CO2 derived hemp extract mixed with fractionated coconut oil, MCT (medium-chain triglycerides). It is pesticide, herbicide and solvent free.