Hemp Oil Body Butter
Hemp oil is created by pressing the seeds of cannabis plants and can be used as a nutritional supplement in foods or on the skin to reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and more.
When it comes to skin, hemp oil is a great source of:
- Vitamin E: a powerful antioxidant with anti-aging properties that has shown effective for treating cancer, arthritis and cataracts
- Vitamin A: helps repair skin damage from sun exposure and aging
- Omega 3 & Omega 6 Fatty Acids: keeps the skin hydrated and helps with skin growth
Because of these skin-strengthening properties, hemp oil allows the body to better resist infection and has been shown to be an effective treatment for eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and acne.
About the Recipe
Homemade skin-care products are a wonderful way to create a product tailored to your specific needs. We're big fans of body butters, so we decided to adapt this Rosemary Citrus Body Balm recipe by Home Song blog to include our favorite plant, cannabis.
- 1/2 c. coconut oil (moisturizing, antifungal, antiviral)
- 1/2 c shea butter (moisturizing)
- 1/4 c. hemp oil (strengthening, see above)
- 1/4 c. beeswax pellets (calming and soothing)
- approximately 2 glass jars, depending on size
- essential oils (approximately 30 drops total)
- Clary Sage + Lavender — Relaxing
- Grapefruit + Rosemary — Stimulating
- Melt coconut oil, shea butter, hemp oil, and beeswax pellets in a double boiler then pour the liquid into glass jars.
- Add essential oils and stir until desired aroma is achieved. We started with 5 drops of each essential oil, then increased from there.
Opportunities for Cannabinoid Infusion
If you'd like to enhance your body butter with cannabinoids, you can add an available CBD or THC isolate to your recipe.