As we age, a popular concern becomes the appearance of our skin. Our skin is the largest organ of our body, and it's important that we keep it healthy by protecting it from damage from the sun and harmful chemicals alongside properly cleansing and moisturizing it. While there are tons of facial products on the market, we were concerned with the un-pronounceable ingredients listed in many of the ones we picked up, so we decided to do our own research and come up with an easy blend we could make ourselves.
When it comes to the skin...
Frankincense is great for:
- Toning: frankincense can reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks
- Healing: Frankincense has anti-bacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties to help keep your skin clean (and reduce acne!)
- Pinene: a terpene known for reducing inflammation in the brain and improving cognitive function
Quality frankincense can be difficult to find and is expensive, so you can substitute elemi essential oil (also known as "the poor man's frankincense") for similar benefits. Both elemi and frankincense are in the same plant family.
CBD is a powerful:
- Antioxidant: helps stop damage to cells that can cause diseases like cancer, heart disease, and more
- Anti-inflammatory: helps reduce inflammation and swelling
Hemp seed oil is a great source of:
About the Recipe
The three ingredients explained above are the primary anti-aging components of this face oil, but this recipe also incorporates two carrier oils: sweet almond oil and fractionated coconut oil.
These carrier oils can be switched out for another of your choice, such as grapeseed or jojoba oils, based on what your skin responds best to. Remember, everyone's different, and it may take a little experimenting to figure out what works best for you!
- 1 tsp sweet almond oil
- 1 tsp fractionated coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp hemp seed oil
- 5 mg CBD (optional)
- 2 drops frankincense or elemi essential oil
- Mix ingredients in a 1/2 oz, dark glass bottle
- Apply to face after cleansing; best before bed
- Store away from heat and light
We recommend making this recipe in small batches so that it doesn't go bad before using it all. Small batches also allow you to experiment with various carrier oils so that you can find the formula that works best for your unique skincare needs.
Opportunities for Cannabinoid Infusion
If you'd like to enhance your face oil with cannabinoids, you can add an available tincture made with fractionated (MCT) coconut oil to your recipe, such as Rosebud's full-spectrum CBD oil, or use the LEVO to easily infuse fractionated coconut oil with cannabis flower.
Rosebud CBD oil is made from CBD rich hemp flowers grown on US soil under the Oregon sun. Rosebud CBD rich oil is comprised of CO2 derived hemp extract mixed with fractionated coconut oil, MCT (medium-chain triglycerides). It is pesticide, herbicide and solvent free.