Based on: A Beautiful Mess' Make Your Own Nontoxic Dry Shampoo
We've all heard that washing your hair every day can dry it out, but where does that leave us when our roots start feeling oily after just one day? Dry shampoos have become a popular beauty product, but after analyzing the ingredients list at a few in our local store we had no interest in putting them on our scalps — so we did a little research.
When it comes to skincare, arrowroot powder is:
- oil absorbent: arrowroot powder enhances the absorbency of our skin
- volumizing: arrowroot powder has been used in lots of DIY "Root Lifting & Hair Volumizing" recipes
And bentonite clay is:
- detoxifying: removes build up and other impurities on the scalp
- moisturizing: conditions the hair for shine and softness, enhancing curl definition
About the Recipe
We consulted many DIY dry-shampoo recipes and experimented until we found one that worked for us.
- organic arrowroot powder
- bentonite clay
- organic cocoa powder
- essential oils of choice
- We used:
- lavender: can promote blood circulation and hair growth
- lemon: reduces dandruff
- peppermint: has been used to prevent hair loss
- We used:
- Mix 1 tbsp arrowroot powder with 2 tsp bentonite clay
- Add cocoa powder to match your hair color
- Light colored hair: you'll probably only need a pinch
- Dark colored hair: you may need as much as 1 tbsp or more. Add to the mixture slowly until you achieve a good color for yourself.
- Add 8-12 drops of your choice of essential oils and mix well
- A Beautiful Mess recommends putting your mixture in a blender to speed up the mixing process
- We used 5 drops of lavender, 4 drops lemon, and 3 drops peppermint — but don't be shy about experimenting with your own essential oils and ratios!