Blueberry Grilled Cheese
When it comes to nutrition, blueberries are a wonderful source of:
- Dietary Fiber: helps you feel full more quickly and prevent constipation
- Vitamin C: helps your body grow and promotes healing; great for the skin, bones, and connective tissue
- Vitamin B6: helps regulate blood sugar and improve heart health
And spinach is a wonderful source of:
About the Recipe
Dark, leafy greens aren't exactly our favorite food, so we like to hide them between other delicious ingredients. We discovered fruit-sauce grilled cheeses when recipe-hunting for Myriad Recipe Book and never turned back, and we've now experimented with everything from strawberry to peach on our sandwiches — but our favorite still remains the blueberry, spinach and bacon version.
- 2 slices bread
- We love to use Asiago cheese bread baked fresh at the local grocery store
- white cheese
- Our favorite cheeses are Havarti and White Sharp Cheddar
- fresh spinach
- 1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp. water
- 3 tsp. honey
- dash of pepper
- Combine blueberries, honey, and water in small saucepan.
- Crush berries with a fork and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes. Add dash of pepper.
- Raise temperature to medium heat. Boil mixture 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place cheese on one slice of bread. Spread blueberry mixture on top then add spinach, bacon, and your second bread slice with the buttered side facing out.
- Grill sandwich on each side 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Tip: Use a lid on your pan for extra melt
Opportunities for Cannabinoid Infusion
To enhance this recipe with cannabinoids, consider using infused butter to grill your sandwich or adding a tincture to the blueberry sauce.
After turning off the heat on the blueberry sauce, we stirred in a few dropper-fulls of CBD+Co's Honey CBD drops before adding the mixture to our sandwich.
CBD+Co is available online in all 50 states. Their CBD is responsibly derived from organic hemp plants grown in Colorado. Their honey is 100% natural, pesticide free, non-GMO and gluten free.
The product shown here was gifted to Hempsley by CBD+Co. All opinions are our own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Hempsley!